Saturday, November 01, 2008

NaBloPoMo

Hey kids! As per usual, it's the day after Halloween and I'm doing this thing again where you have to listen to me talk every day for all of November. I know, fun!

Be prepared, though, for a lot of nothing. Today, par example, we'll be talking about persimmons!

So, all of a sudden last fall I'm allergic to apples and can't eat them anymore, because they give me the death. Frown. Since then, I've been looking for a new grab-and-go fruit with little success.

Oranges: peeling them is work, and then your hands are sticky.

Grapefruits: ditts.

Bananas: WILL bruise in your bag, no matter how careful you are.

Seasonal berries: are seasonal. Also, easily mashed.

Melon: requires pre-thinking and cutting.

H'anyvays, today I grabbed a persimmon or two from my happy Asian food mart. Persimmons are tasty! Who knew! And if you get the ones that look like tiny squashed pumpkins (why does all fall produce look the same?) then you don't even have to peel them!

I know that, like berries, they also are seasonal, and that in a few weeks I'll be back to my bruised bananas and my sticky grapefruits, but for now (provided they aren't some secret apple-kin and I don't get sick in the next hour), I'll be chucking a persimmon in the old backpack for mid-class snackerings. Zoot zoot!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lois says:

http://ss-biggie.livejournal.com/98216.html

Should solve that banana problem while you snicker and giggle. I saw them at the toy building at Granville Island, but I am sure they are everywhere. Happy snacking!

Anonymous said...

Lois adds:

Oh, and Suzie Homemaker, you might like this. Review of a sweet book showing cute lunches for kids.

http://lunchinabox.net/

Hannah said...

I like pears and cactus fruit, myself. And there's always the good ol' peach to consider.