Thursday, January 10, 2008

Show-stopper

What's up, kids? So, it looks like you're going to be seeing a lot of me between 2:30 and 4:00 on Thursdays, because I have class from 11:30-2:30, and then from 4:00-7:00, and it's POuring out, so it isn't worth my while to walk all the way home, and all the way back, and all the way home again. Instead, I will sit here in the lounge and studiously ignore that girl over there who was in a class with me last semester but who I don't really like, and who tried to get my attention a few minutes ago by calling me 'Dawn.' That's not my name.

So today, in my Philosophy class, we had to go around give an example of a time in which we demonstrated a higher level of thinking, or something. Going around the class and saying ANYthing that isn't your favorite ice cream is super-stressful, because who can think that quickly? And you don't want to say something douchey like 'I've saved two lives' (which I have, internets, and I will tell you about it sometime*) but you also don't want to throw out something flip because it's the first day of class, and your prof will say to herself, ah, this girl does not take me seriously. I will give her a D. And I don't want a D.

Generally, your best bet is for the person just preceeding you to be a stutterer, or to say something really ghey, like 'The other day I pulled over and made a nice path for the ambulance to pass by' (no joke, this is someone's higher level of thinking), so that whatever you string together by comparison sounds awesome. The guy before me? 'One time I successfully talked myself out of committing suicide.'

???

How am I supposed to follow that? That is heavy. That is a seriously ballsy and/or attention-seeking thing to say in front of thirty people you don't know. No jokes. So I threw out something about making my roommates agree on something, it was probably how we were going to kill the rat, but I think I left that part out. Lamez.

Happy Thursday, folken.

*Speaking of saving lives, Robyn the Bishop is currently doing so on a daily basis, and recently delivered a baby OVER THE PHONE. Now that's worth sharing in class.

No comments: