Tuesday, July 17, 2007

A thorough analysis of my effectiveness as a human being

Jane just did a 'Clean Sweep Assesment' of her life, and challenged all her blog readers to do the same. Since I am one of those faithful readers, and since there are fewer things that I love more than a good self-help tool, especially one with boxes to check off, I nodded my inner Oprah and jumped on board. The idea is that you check off the things that TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY apply to you, no cheating or hedging your bets. Then you work on making the ones that DON'T apply to you DO. They promise 'more energy and vitality...perspective on who you are, where you are, and where you are going,' etc. I buy it. I have copied and pasted the questions, with my answers, here.

Physical environment:

My personal files, papers, and receipts are neatly filed away.
No. They are stacked in piles that are mentally-labelled 'file me,' but I don't think that counts.

My car is in excellent condition. (Doesn't need mechanical work, repairs, cleaning or replacing)
The car is Joel's job, but I'm more than willing to take credit for the fact that it runs. So yes.

My home is clean and tidy. (Vacuumed, wardrobes and drawers organized, desks and tables clear, furniture in good repair; windows clean).
I have to give a 'no' because we've vacuumed twice since we got married, and neither of those times qualifies as 'recently.' Plus, there's toothpaste spray on the mirror, and that's not likely to change any time soon. But I did laundry today.

My appliances, machinery and equipment work well. (Fridge, toaster, lawn mower, water heater, hi-fi etc.).
I just got married and everything I own is new. So yes.

My clothes are all ironed, clean and make me look good. (No creases, piles of washing, torn, out-of-date or ill-fitting clothes).

Refer to two questions ago. Just did laundry. So yes.

My plants and animals are healthy. (Fed, watered, getting light and love).

Have no animals (phew! Dodged that bullet) and plants are all in various stages of 'alive.' So yes.

My bed/bedroom lets me have the best sleep possible. (Firm bed, light, air).

Yes! Oh yes, I love my bed. My massive, luxurious bed which Joel claims is too soft, but isn't, and in which I can starfish myself without touching him or falling off the side.

I live in a house/flat that I love.

Again, many yesses.

I surround myself with beautiful things.

Joel is a beautiful thing. As is my leather chair. And my bookshelves, and my knicknacks and all of my delicious books. And did I mention that my bed is fabulous? Yes.

I live in the geographical location of my choice.

A ten-minute walk from school? A twenty-minute walk from the Walmart? A coffee shop and theater and McD's within spitting distance? Yes.

There is ample and healthy lighting around me.

Each of our (basement suite) rooms has a window (except the bathroom, because, how creepy!) and our front room/kitchen has four lighting options. Yes.

I consistently have adequate time, space and freedom in my life.

I can think of no concrete examples to this vague-ish question, but my gut sense is yes.

Nothing in my environment harms me.

There are spiders, but none have bit me thus far. Yes.

I am not tolerating anything about my home or work environment.

Yes. I am luxuriating.

My work environment is productive and inspiring. (Synergistic, ample tools and resources; no undue pressure).

I'm going to replace 'work' with 'school' and say yes. All my pressure is due.

My computer works very well and fully supports my efforts.

Sadly, no. It has slugged down recently, and it's driving me bats.

My hair is the way I want it.

*Sigh* The answer to this may never be yes.

I back up my hard drive at least monthly.

Um...no.

I surround myself with music which makes my life more enjoyable.

Yes oh yes!

My bed is made daily.

Surprisingly, yes. I have mentioned (twice, I believe) that my bed is fabulous, and this makes it easier to make, because of how much more fabulous it looks when made.

I don't injure myself, fall or bump into things.

No. This, again, may never be true. I am an injurer, faller, and bumper. I am the daughter of a man who could cut himself on a perfectly spherical object, or a feather pillow.

People feel comfortable in my home.

I hope so.

I drink at least 2 liters of water a day.

Yes. Joel is the water-nazi.

I have nothing around the house or in storage that I do not need.

This question makes me glance around awkwardly. I have many things in storage that I am convinced I will need someday, but much of it will be thrown out before it is ever used again. So no.

I am consistently early or easily on time.

Much no.

My Physical Environment total is 17.

Well-Being


I rarely use caffeine. (Chocolate, coffee, colas, tea) less than 3 times per week, total.
*Sigh* We all know this is no.

I rarely eat sugar. (Less than 3 times per week).
Ditto.

I rarely watch television. (Less than 5 hours per week).
Luckily, without cable, TV becomes much less interesting. Yes.

I rarely drink alcohol. (Less than 2 drinks per week)
Alcohol costs $$ and we've drunk all our wedding wine. So yes.

My teeth and gums are healthy. (Have seen dentist in last 6 months).
When I eat chocolate, I can feel it seeping into all my cavities. I have no coverage. No.

My cholesterol is at a healthy level.
Probably yes. I'd bet money on yes.

My blood pressure is at a healthy level.
Again, likely yes.

I have had a complete physical examination within the past 3 years.
Definitely no.

I do not smoke tobacco or other substances.
Yes. Wait...no. This one should have a qualifier too, like, 'I smoke less than two cigars a year' in which case, yes, but it doesn't, so no.

I do not use illegal drugs or misuse prescribed medications.
Yes. We have a medicine cabinet full of T3's, and I haven't touched them

I have had a complete eye examination within the past two years.(Glaucoma check, vision test).
Oh yes. My optometrist is the keenest.

My weight is within my ideal range.
Yes. I am neither too fleshy nor too thin.

My nails are healthy and look good.
I got nail extensions for the wedding, and they peeled off later and now my nails are like parchment. No.

I don't rush or use adrenaline to get the job done.
I definitely DO use adrenaline to get the job done! I don't see how this is bad.

I have a rewarding life beyond my work or profession.
I have no work or profession, so this has to be yes. Even if 'work' is 'school,' very much yes.

I have something to look forward to virtually every day.
I suppose, if I look hard enough, which I don't usually do. So we'll give this a no for now.

I have no habits which are unacceptable to me.
I crack my knuckles, and sometimes my hips and my knees and my wrists and yesterday my shoulder, and I procrastinate and eat fatty things when I'm stressed out and pull out my eyelashes when I'm thinking and get undressed onto the floor instead of into the hamper.

I am aware of the physical or emotional problems or conditions I have, and I am now fully taking care of all of them.
Yes. I have sparkling new contact lenses, bless their squeaky, stain-free hearts.

I consistently have evenings, weekends and holidays off and take at least four weeks of holiday each year.
Very yes. I am covetous of my leisure time.

I have just the right amount of sleep.
No. I sleep waaaaaaaaaaay too much or waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too little.

I use well-made sunglasses.
I sat on my sunglasses. I wear Joel's when he leaves them around the house, but otherwise, no.

I do not suffer.
True. Yes.

I laugh out loud every day.
Also yes. My sister is very funny.

I walk or exercise at least three times per week.
I ran 10k this morning. Yes.

I hear well and protect myself from loud noises / concerts / music.
No. Joel tells me that I'm going to damage my hearing, the way I turn my iPod up so loud. I tell him to stop using my iPod.

My Well-Being total is 13.

Money

I currently save at least 10% of my income.
I have no income. No.

I pay my bills on time.
Yes. Our landlords went out of town for the month, so we paid them for July and August. I feel so rich.

My income source/revenue base is stable and predictable.
I have no income source/revenue.

I know how much I must have to be minimally financially independent and I have a plan to get there.
If 'going to school to get reasonably-well-paying job' counts as a plan, then yes.

I have returned or made-good-on any money I borrowed.
No, Joel and I still owe Jon and Laura $30 from New Years.

I have written agreements and am current with payments to individuals or companies to whom I owe money.
We have no written agreement with Jon and Laura, we just remind them every so often that we owe them $30.

I have 6 months' living expenses in an easily accessible account.
I'd better. Have I mentioned that we neither of us have jobs?

I live on a weekly budget which allows me to save and not suffer.
I don't suffer, but I don't save either. Saving requires income.

All my tax returns have been filed and all my taxes have been paid.
Not just yet, no.

I currently live well, within my means.
Yes. Joel and I are both extremely Mennonite (read: frugal).

I have excellent personal insurance. (Life, accident, disability, medical etc.).
No. If I die, Joel gets all my debt. And my laptop.

My assets (car, home, possessions, treasures) are well-insured.
The car's insured, and we have nothing else worth insuring. Yes.

I have a financial plan for the next year.
It's sketchy and on some loose leaf paper, but yes.

I have no legal clouds hanging over me.
Except my massive student loan.

My will is up-to-date and accurate.
Haven't got one. I only assume that Joel will get my laptop. I know he'll get my debt.

Any parking tickets, alimony or child support are paid and current.
I don't drive or have any children, so yes.

My investments do not keep me awake at night.
They certainly don't.

I know how much I am worth.
Does this mean I know how much money I have? Because I do, and it starts with this sign (-).

I am on a career / professional / business track which is or will soon be financially and personally rewarding.
Not soon. But yes.

My earnings are commensurate with the effort I put into my job.
I have no earnings.

I have no "loose ends" at work.
Unfinished assignments count as 'loose ends,' so no.

I am in relationship with people who can assist in my career/professional development.
I am going to school. I think this applies.

I rarely miss work due to illness.
I have to be vomiting blood to miss school.

I am putting aside enough money each month to reach financial independence.
Again, what's with the savings? I have no income. Everything is 'out-go.'

My earnings outpace inflation, consistently.
Dammit, no.

My Money total is 12.

Relationships

I have told my parents, in the last 3 months, that I love them.
I must have. Yes.

I get along well with my sibling(s).
Ha ha ha, many yesses.

I get along well with my coworkers/ clients.
'...fellow students.' Yes.

I get along well with my manager/staff.
'...professers.' Yes.

There is no one whom I would dread or feel uncomfortable "bumping into". (In the street, at an airport or party).
I was at a wedding in May where TWO of my ex-boyfriends were in attendance. One was surprisingly pleasant. The other, maddeningly awkward.

I put people first and results second.
Yes.

I have let go of the relationships which drag me down or damage me. ("Let go" means to end, walk away from, declare complete, no longer be attached to).
Yes. I hope.

I have communicated or attempted to communicate with everyone whom I have hurt, injured or seriously upset, even if it wasn't fully my fault.
Again, I hope so. Anyone have a beef with me?

I do not gossip or talk about others.
Ahhhhhhh, I do.

I have a circle of friends/family who love and appreciate me for who I am, more than just what I do for them.
Yes, yes, yes. SUCH good friends.

I tell people how they can satisfy me.
I tell Joel to empty the dishwasher and tell me my hair looks pretty. Yes.

I am fully caught up with letters and calls.
Emails and Facebookings. Yes.

I always tell the truth, no matter what.
Yes. Is that bragging? I have plenty of other flaws...

I receive enough love from people around me to feel good.
Yes. So much love.

I have fully forgiven those people who have hurt/damaged me, intentional or not.
No. Not yet.

I am a person of his/her word; people can count on me.
Yes.

I quickly correct miscommunications and misunderstandings when they do occur.
I try. Yes.

I live life on my terms, not by the rules or preferences of others.
Again, I try.

I am complete with past loves or spouses.
I don't understand the question. Yes?

I am aware of my wants and needs and get them taken care of.
Yes. I want chips, and I need to eat them.

I do not judge or criticize others.
Ah, this section is making me feel bad about myself. No.

I do not "take personally" the things that people say to me.
Again, no. I'm the queen of 'taking it personally.' Everything Joel says is somehow a slam in my direction, even when it's not.

I have a best friend or soul-mate.
Joel, babe, I love you.

I make requests rather than complain.
No. Does requesting work? Complaining is so much effort!

I spend time with people who don't try to change me.
Yes.

My Relationships score is 19. I am awesome at relationships.

My total score is 61 out of 100. I am getting a passing grade in Life. Hurrah.

1 comment:

Rebekah said...

i got 68 out of 100. i just wanted to see if i was doing better than you. i don't know if i was completely honest, however. sometimes it's hard to tell.