Friday, February 11, 2011

My attention span is not long enough.

I'm five weeks into school which means I'm five weeks into writing my honors thesis (the proposal for which I spent three weeks last semester writing and submitting and revising).  At most it's only ever taken me a week to write a paper, between the mulling and the research and the drafting and the letting it sit and the making-less-shitty.

My topic is still very great, and my source material (Daphne du Maurier's Rebecca) is as salacious and readable-even-for-people-who-are-not-English-majors as ever, but I am tired of poking at it.  I admitted to my supervisor yesterday that I feel like I'm flogging a dead horse and she looked at me sympathetically before replying 'Well, in three weeks and about nine pages, you will give that dead horse to me and have a flogging reprieve.  Then, of course, I will return your dead horse to you and you will have to resume flogging, but with more finesse.'

So.  Amid all the other things (presentation yesterday, paper yesterday, TWENTY-FIVE MINUTE PRESENTATION IN THEORY ON TUESDAY IN WHICH IT APPEARS WE ARE ALL GOING TO GET 'B'S) I am plugging away.

No comments: