Friday, August 03, 2007

I am a robot

So, I've been running 10k a couple of times a week for a while now, and I've gotten to the point where it's a walk in the park. Easy. Almost fun. Unfortunately, the relentless pounding has turned my knees to fiberglass, and so today I headed to the gym to run on the treadmill, which is A. much easier on your body, because the impact is less jarring, and I can have my water with me which I can't have when I'm running outside, because I refuse to buy one of those little belts that you put your water bottle in, but B. much more difficult on your mind, because watching the seconds tick away is waaaaaaaaaaay less gratifying than watching the scenery fly by, and you can get off at any time. H'anyways, so I'm running, and I'm thinking, gee, I must run way faster when I'm running outside, or maybe it is just the mind-over-matter thing, and I'm thinking too much about it when I can see the time and the distance in digits, or maybe that block that I run around isn't as long as I think it is, because it is HARD, and I'm barely at 5k, and I'm running and sweating and thinking and running, and it isn't until I reach the cheery 8k that I realize the machine is in MILES. Miles, people. 8 miles (for those of you who don't want to google your favorite metric conversion site) is 12.87 km. Yeesh.

In other news, you know how some guys go and spend HOURS at the gym? And it sounds all impressive? It's not. There were three guys in there, lifting a barbell a few times, changing the chanel on the tv, sitting and watch it for a minute, wandering out of the room, wandering back in, checking themselves out in the mirror, doing a few crunches, watching a bit more tv, changing the chanel, loading up the pull-down with as much weight as they could and then pulling it down once. I mean, seriously, what's the point? Do you have NOTHING else to do today? Do you not have cable, and this is your excuse to siphon UCFV's? Do you feel better about yourself if you can say that you spent three hours in the gym, even though you have half-an-hour's worth of work to show for it?

Some of us have more important things to do. Like sail our Facebook pirates around until we find some dynamite so we can bomb Corey back.

No comments: