Wednesday, March 16, 2011

On Sunday we went out to the mainland to see Grandma.  She's in hospice, and had overheard someone in another room talking about a party and thought it was for her.  Are you throwing me a party? she asks and my aunt is all...Yes?  Good, she says.  Make sure there are hot wings.  I will have hot wings at my party.  Also, I will need someone to do my hair and nails.  I can do my own lipstick.


So we throw her a party and there are hot wings. 


Tell Matt to bring his guitar, she says.  He can play me that song he knows I like.


So Matt brings his guitar, and Jordan brings his sax, and someone finds a keyboard in another room and drags it over, and Grandma muses about how, when she was young, her family gatherings always had music.  Me and Bekah look at each other like, Ours too.

Sandy tells the story of how she almost burned down the house, and James tells the story of how he almost burned down the house, and then we talk about all the trees dad has fallen out of.  Grandma dozes, or looks to be dozing, but just when you think she's out of it she opens an eye to tell you how it actually happened.


Dad brings her a cupcake cake and she blows out all the candles.  No boyfriends.


When it's time to go home, the people-mover-crane puts her back in her bed, and we all crawl onto it to say goodbye.

I was talking to Robyn later and Robyn says she looks ill, but not sad, which is spot-on, and for this we are very grateful.

7 comments:

Kate @Midnight Book Girl said...

What a special day for her! I work in the home health care business and I've seen so many lonely elderly patients. It's clear your grandmother is well loved, and what great memories ya'll are creating!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you got to spend such a lovely day with her! It reminds me of seeing my great uncle Harold last May. Hugs to you and yours!

Katie, Interrobangs Anonymous said...

Your grandma has way cooler parties than I do. And I'm totally going to take a page out of her playbook and have hot wings at my next shindig.

And although I don't know your grandma, I'm quite confident in saying that the reasons she doesn't look sad are surrounding her in each of those photos.

Ky said...

That is absolutely amazing. You have a wonderful family.

leahandmichael said...

awww.. this is so sweet! my grandma would probs need help with her lipstick too.

you and your sis look cute and very sisterly in that last photo :)

Mum said...

It was the sweetest day and apart from the two of you climbing into Grandma's bed, I like the lipstick shot. Forever posted in my heart or memories album. =0)

Among Amid While said...

I totally loved this post, Raych. Particularly the fact that your Grandma actually stole someone else's party.f